Thursday, July 9, 2015

I was FAT!

Over 25 years ago, I weighed 65 lbs more than I do now. How did that happen?

LIFE!

Yes, life happened. Maybe life happened to you too.

I became a product of  a sedentary lifestyle, and junk food. Just like the majority of Americans. And I was unhappy.

Junk Food was my comfort. Helped me not care quite so much about being unhappy. Junk food is a lot like heroin. It bonds with the opiate receptors in my brain. Refined carbohydrates and sugars really do that! Like opium/heroin. Junk food junkie...that was me. Is that true for you? Is sugar your heroin, like it was for me?

Well, of course, that doesn't work. Empty calories make us fat!!
It is actually just that simple. Empty calories make us fat. Sure made me fat...how about you??

So, the cure for me was simple,  based on the "wisdom" of the day: "Eat less fat (fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrates),  and exercise a lot.

I did all of the "right things" to do. Lots of skinless chicken breasts. Veggies, salads out my ear. And so, after a 10 mile run at 6,000 feet, or climbing a 14000 peak, I would eat  a fairly massive carbohydrate heavy dinner. And, I lost weight. Yes, I did. Why? Simple: I burned WAY more calories than I could consume.

That really worked for me. Based on simple math,  calories in = calories out. That is the conventional wisdom, and it seems obvious that the way to achieve and maintain a healthy weight is to balance calories in with calories out.

It did work. However, I got to the point where I just ached all the time. It hurt to get out of bed in the morning. And I got a lot of colds. I simply did not feel very good. I looked good, but I didn't feel good.

Something was very wrong.....

to be continued.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home